Struggling to Read? What help is right for my child?

It is often difficult for a parent to know what help their child needs to help him with his reading.  Several options are presented to parents, including tutors, Learning Support Teachers, Learning Centres and Specialist Reading Clinics.  But every child’s needs are different and what is right or best for one child may not be the best option for another child.


Your child’s reading may be:


  • average
  • below average
  • seriously below average.


Your use of support services should be strategic and influenced by the level of assistance your child requires.


For the student of average abilities, where parents are wanting to help their child improve their performance, then the tutor is perfect.  Tutors come in many forms from commercial operators such as Kip McGrath, Fruition or Kumon to retired teachers or university students.


Learning Support Teachers (LST) are the professionals within the school who will support the student who is under-performing well below the average.  The LST will test the student and use their skills in order to raise the student’s performance.   However despite this individual help some children will still not improve or their progress will be very slow and limited.  These children often need specialist support in addition to the support they are receiving at school.


Specialists such as speech pathologists have a unique role in identifying, diagnosing and clinically treating children with more severe problems.  They are able to do this by accessing a broad range of assessment tools and using highly specific resources.  An in-depth assessment and the ensuing conversation will confirm that the speech pathologist  understands the specific nature of your child’s difficulties and should be able to clearly outline a strategy on how it may be resolved.  Your incentive to use these specialist clinics should come in that they are usually smaller and can be highly responsive to breakthroughs in the latest research.  It is also possible that their own research and development gives a further superior level of outcomes within their own practice.


Although the role that Paediatricians, Educational Psychologists and Occupational Therapists play in assisting a struggling learner is generally understood, the role of the  Speech Pathologist is often quite misunderstood.  Though the stereotypical lisp is treated, the severe presentations of language, learning, speaking, hearing and reading are also the domain of Speech Pathologists who are specialists in these fields. This places Speech Pathologists within the hierarchy of professionals, who will assist with the severely challenged student, as essential and one of the apex specialists. For the child who is not progressing with reading and learning, speak with your Speech Pathologist and identify the root cause of the problem.


For any questions regarding your child’s reading, please contact Tyquin Group on 33998028 to discuss your concerns. There is also interesting information on our website